The common cause of this problem is that the Exchange set for your security code is incorrect (thus Roo-Trader is unable to find and download any data).
Please make sure that the security code used in your trade entry has the correct Exchange set by going to Menu -> Edit -> Security Codes (this will open the Security Codes window). Locate the security code that always encounters a “Download Error” and check if it has the correct Exchange, if not then you must correct it by clicking the pencil icon next to it. Alternatively, you can open the View Trades window, right click on the trade and select “Finance Costs” and input the Finance costs manually.
We released version 6.2.0 of Roo-Trader this week.
In this version we:
Improved: Windows 8 compatibility.
Modified the Reports section: The reports are now application-based (not portfolio-based). Recent versions store reporting details in the portfolio, when portfolio gets corrupted, user may not be able to view reports because they won’t show in the list of available reports in the Reports window. These details are now stored in the application itself and are now persistent.
Removed: Connections to the old website (www.otrader.com.au). Our software now connects to only one site (www.roo-trader.com), which is the new and only active home of Roo-Trader software.
Updated: Cleaner and simpler interface.
Added: Initial phase for Multi-Language support (which is expected to be completed on the next release).
Updated: Microsoft .Net from version 3.5 to 4.0.
Updated: Third-party libraries (most recent release to address bugs and compatibility issues).
Fixed: Other minor bugs.
We continue to work on and improve our software. If you have a suggestion for a missing feature, please send it to us. We add features based on your input!
We are running late this month. We normally push out an update by the 21st of each month. This month, we are finishing two projects.
First is the changes Microsoft has made to the way software behaves. They made a change to Windows 8 and we are modifying our software to ensure you get a smooth installation. This was based on two new users finding permission issues when they installed a new copy of Roo-Trader.
Second, we pushed our multi-language version of Roo-Trader back a month. The reason we pushed it back a month was to ensure Windows 8 compatibility. We should roll out our new version in March.
Thank you for trying our software and staying with us over the years!
William and the Roo-Trader team.
It has been a very busy year for us. We went from our beta version to a final release of Roo-Trader version 6. We completed our migration from OTrader version 4 and released the import wizard to migrate our clients to the new version.
Our users have been quiet, which means Roo-Trader is working, the application is stable and now users are requesting some new features. We will keep adding them to our to-do list. We prioritize our tasks and constantly work on them. This software will keep evolving to serve you better in 2013.
We will work hard to stay with our monthly release schedule. However, some features will require more time or resources than a monthly release will allow. So, that schedule will probably vary.
Coming in 2013 we have multi-language support being released in January. Then a long list of additions that we have been tracking. The functionality will not change, but we will be adding more import/export functions. Also, look for the addition of tracking your trades in your journal.
We all wish you a success in your personal and professional lives.
Happy Trading in 2013!
William and the Roo-Trader Team!
Our development team released this month’s update for Roo-Trader. We are working hard to keep releasing updates each month for the new platform. This month, we added the import wizard to bring your older Version 4 OTrader data into the new database structure.
One of our users successfully imported 1500 records. He noted the speed has increased and the functionality has improved in the new version.
If you have an older set of data, please download the new software. The import wizard is in the menu. It is pretty easy to use and it should be a smooth migration.
Just let Roo-Trader update itself by going to Menu–>Help->Check for Software Updates.
After updating Roo-Trader, you will be able to open the Import Tool by going to Menu->Help->Import Tool.
The import tool will “convert” your old data (OTrader format) to the new format without having to delete the old one (the older data will be preserved). The wizard will create a new portfolio in Roo-Trader format and copy the contents from your old portfolio.
Close Roo-Trader, then open it back up and open the new data.
After two years of work, we have finally released version 6 of our software.
First designed in 2003, we have been upgrading and modifying the software based on your feedback ever since the initial release.
Now you can pull down Roo-Trader version 6 from this location:
Software Download Page
The software provides an initial thirty (30) free trail.
To get started, go to Help – Getting Started and complete the four steps to set up your profile.
We are now working on the web sites, the migration wizard for our older users and the suggestions we receive form our users. Please bear with us as we get everything shifted to our new back end operations.
As always, please let us know your thoughts and suggestions. We are working hard to ensure you have a tool that you can use to measure and improve your trading success!
The Roo-Trader Team
BETA 9 has been uploaded to DropBox.
In this release are the following:
1. Added strategy name in the subtotal row in the View Trades by Strategy (as suggested by Glenn), likewise fixed grouping by strategy (original code groups 2 strategies as one if the security codes are the same).
2. Ability to select Strategy Name in Multi Leg Trade window without the need to clear all previously entered trade details (as suggested by Neil).
3. Fixed possible bugs in European formats (this is a blindfolded attempt though because we don not have enough parameters to test the bugs because there was no log in RooERROR.log).
4. Code cleanup – removed unnecessary custom methods/functions (which were used in V4) but fully supported by .Net (and used the .Net version instead to prevent unnecessary bugs.
5. Fixed function to get Unique Code, which was suspected to be caused in virtual machines, but was actually a flaw when running in Windows 7.
6. Other minor bug fixes which came along the way.
EXTEND YOUR BETA TRIAL PERIOD:
Download the current beta from the Dropbox folder.
Install the version 6 beta over the existing beta.
If you need to extend the trial period, please do the following:
under Help->Activation->Extend evaluation period (this will open a window)
Please email me the “Unique Code” that will be displayed, then I will give you an extension code you can use to input in that same window to extend the trial period. This may take a day depending upon our time zones.
Also, based on Alfonso’s suggestion, we are changing the menu so you can extend the trail BEFORE it expires so you do not lose any functionality. We realize we are working with global users and our time zones are off. So we want to get you a code with time to spare.
Please send your comments back to us and we will work them into the software!
Roo-Trader/ OTrader Team
We had hoped to release with a live version. Unfortunately, our testers keep making suggestions and finding issues. Great work guys!
BETA 8E has been uploaded.
In this release (this is a combined list of Alfonso’s and Glenn’s reported bugs, including those we found on our own):
1. Multiple Leg Trade
– Fixed implicit when moving from cell to cell
– Fixed saving banking details for “short”
– Fixed the reset functionality (when a Strategy is loaded, it resets the grid using the pre-loaded strategy and not just clear the grid)
– Fixed strategy selection (when user chooses headers, app originally asks to load it when in fact they are just headers and not actual strategies)
– Fixed data sequence (rows are not properly arranged according to date and trade sequence, thus presenting some inconsistencies in balance column)
– Fixed missing data on short calls and puts (deposits not reflected) – this is related to saving the data in Multiple Leg Trade
– Enhanced date filters (included “All” but default is still the current month)
3. Strategy report
– Fixed missing data (Open Qty) and invalid sign (Closing Value)
4. Profit/Loss Detail report
– Fixed saving error due to presence of “/” in default filename
5. Profit/Loss Summary report
– Removed details and revert back to plain “summary”
6. Trade Analysis reports (weekly, monthly, quarterly)
– Fixed grouping of data
– Fixed saving of Dividend data (for further testing)
8. View Trades
– Mark as Expired now working and renamed menu to “Close as Expired” (for further testing)
– Enabled printing and exporting of grid data in Evaluation Copies (originally disabled)
– Fixed bug: When selecting filters for Account and System, no data is displayed (which is a result of an incorrect query)
– Enhanced date filtering mechanism
9. Create new DB
– Added option for user to choose between copying settings from Default portfolio and Currently Opened portfolio (if the currently opened portfolio is not the default)
10. Reports Window
– Fixed bug: when Account filter is selected, Banking and Banking Transactions reports do not display data.
11. Performance Chart
– Enhanced date filters
– Printing and exporting (as jpeg image) of the graphs is now supported
12. Other minor bugs and performance issues
Please send us anything you can find or suggestions and we’ll keep upgrading the code base!
OTrader Stock and Option Portfolio Management Software
View the new support forum
To our beta users, the installer for Roo-Trader Beta 8C has been uploaded to Dropbox.
This version includes:
1. Support for manual override of brokerage and OCH fees in Multiple Leg Trade (as suggested by Neil).
2. Standardized computational logic of overridden brokerage/OCH fees in Close Trade, Enter Trade and Multiple Leg Trade windows.
3. Re-adjustment of Banking Summary and Banking Transactions to show data in ascending order instead of descending (discovered by Alfonso to be incorrect and confusing).
4. Support for fractional shares/qty (as needed by Larry and others).
5. A new look and feel of the installer as suggested by Sean (simpler, more sleek and customized to have the Roo-Trader feel).
6. Some technical optimizations on the code-side which is non-visible to users (for enhanced maintainability).
7. Re-orientation of some windows (e.g Broker Details), some controls are inaccessible in low-res displays (e.g. Alfonso’s case).
8. Code-refactoring as suggested by Re-Sharper tool.
9. Other minor bug-fixes (mostly having impact on the front end side).
We are testing this last release with our beta users and then going live!
Thank you for all of you support and hard work.
The Roo-Trader Team!
We finally got our final beta completed. Our testers will give it a look, and we’ll start shipping the new release.
This update took a while to complete. We pulled back and refined a few pieces based on our beta users feedback.
1. Trading Rules – Multiple rules with multiple guidelines for each rule can be set, also Exchanges and Instruments can be set to which the rules apply.
2. Broker Styles have been added – default settings include AUS, EU, US – Broker Style Settings can be accessed at:
Menu->Edit->Preferences And Setup -> Brokers -> Broker Styles
2.a. When portfolio of user is upgraded to have the Broker Styles, all current Broker’s are set to use AUS by default. Users can modify this by editing their Brokers settings (this window has also been updated).
2.b Broker styles determine the necessity for Broker fees, taxes OCH fees and taxes, including stamp duty and these fields are shown/hidden appropriately in Enter Trade window depending on the selected Broker. This has been integrated with the existing logic to also determine the necessity of these fields based on the selected Instrument.
3. User can now turn off annoying message asking if he wants to enter Trade Notes after entering a trade.
4. “Close Trade” menu item is not available for Single Trades. (Only “Close Single Trade”).
5. A lot of computational bug fixes brought about by the method to convert string to double datatype.
6. Fixed several UI errors and non-working windows (e.g. Finance Costs).
7. Automatic schema updating of old portfolios to use new DB schema, for new installs though the new schema/structure is readily available.
8. Bug fix on “Create New Portfolio” as found out by Aries (can make the DB structure but cannot add “default” records).
9. Minor details like add icons to context menu in View Trades window, and some icons in Main Menu.
10. Some other bug fixes and enhances which came our way.
Note: A user request to support input based on his Regional Settings (using comma’s and decimal points the EU way to enter data) is very tricky (that’s the reason why some other software don’t really support that), but we are looking more deeper into it on what is the best/safest approach.
We look forward to shipping the new version to you in May!